The vegetable-tanned leather productive cycle is strictly monitored to ensure a low impact on the environment:
• No animal is killed for its skin. On the contrary, the raw hides used by our tanneries are the discarded by-products of the food industry producing meat for human consumption.
• Being tanned with natural tannins, a vegetable-tanned leather object can be easily disposed of at the end of its life, thanks to its chemical-biological characteristics.
• These tanneries have made huge investments in depuration systems and waste recycling that make them work in full respect of man and the environment.
• Many of the substances used during the tanning process are recovered, recycled and reused in different fields. Hair removed from raw hides is transformed into agricultural fertilizer; sludge produced by the depuration plants is reused in the construction field to make bricks.
• Vegetable-tanned leather, recognizable by its trademark, does not contain any toxic substance such as azo-dyes, nickel, PCP or chrome VI
In this way those consumers who care about a product’s quality and environmental protection have a reference trademark when they buy their leather products!
Consorzio Vera Pelle Italiana Conciata al Vegetale